Tuesday, January 4, 2011

FP3000B45 now available

Interesting news for users of this super high speed black and white instant pack film: The 4x5 version of it has finally reached North America and should show up online any moment.

This uses the PA-45 holder, or the Polaroid 550 large packfilm holder.

Thanks to Brandon Remler of Fujifilm USA for giving us notice that it is on its way. I certainly will get a case of it and go wild in low light with my Speed Graphics and maybe a Byron.  Aaron Muderick has been a big fan of this material in the smaller size, and has produced good looking images from the scanned negative, which has a decent tonal range.

FP3000B and FP3000B45 are descendants of my original favorite Type 47 film that I think revolutionized instant photography when it came out. Fuji has refined it to use a minuscule amount of silver in a highly amplified DTR intensification process onto a receiver sheet that has a little better mid grays than the Old Pol 667.

11 comments:

Theodoros Chliapas said...

superb news....

Aaron Muderick said...

I do love FP-3000B. The prints are fabulously crisp and vibrant. The scans can be very good if proper techniques are applied. There is more resolution hidden in the negative and you can make bigger enlargements than if you had scanned the print.

Over the summer, I ran into Louis Mendes on the streets of NYC. He took my portrait using a Crown Graphic, Flashbulb, and FP-100C45. $20 well spent.

If I was living a different life, I would roam the Earth doing the same thing using FP-3000B45.

Eric Smith said...

This is awesome news! Thanks for the update and keeping close contact with the guys at Fujifilm! I'll post if I find it online.

Anonymous said...

Aaron - where can we see some of your work with this film?

Robert said...

While I'm pleased over the announcement, it hardly makes up for the fact that they stopped production of FP-100B45

Anonymous said...

I'm using the last of our Polaroid Type 57 4 x 5 Land Film for high-contrast technical x-ray photos. Does anyone know when or where I can purchase Fujifilm FP3000B45?

Bob Crowley said...

I would ask Unique Photo, Adorama, B&H and other sellers if they have it in stock yet. I am sure that it's a matter of weeks only before you will be able to stock up, and I think you will find the FP3000B45 to be even better than the 57 in terms of convenience. It does require the Fujifilm PA-45 back or a Polaroid 550, which are graflok compatible, and should fit every SEM, X-ray and PCR system that took the old holder.

Eric Smith said...

Looks like Adorama now has it in stock:
http://www.adorama.com/FJFP3000B45.html

RA Friedman said...

I was very excited to see the 4x5 fp3000b on the Adorama site. Now to scrape together a few shekels for the film and holder. My 4x5 Graflex shall no longer languish!

Cheers!

RA Friedman, Lead Photographer
Tsirkus Fotografika
(We shoot almost exclusively on instant black and white film.)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tsirkus-Fotografika/102587023588

Aaron Muderick said...

There are a number of high resolution examples on my flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/amuderick

I usually leave the rebate/edges intact so you can see which are prints and which are reclaimed negatives. I get nice 3-4x enlargements from FP-3000B prints and negatives.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately this film has now been discontinued....

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffujifilm.jp%2Finformation%2Farticlead_0132.html

Even more reasons for us to support New55!