Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lou Barranti - The Downtown Waitress Project

Friend, frequent contributor, and, in my view, wonderfully purposeful "straight" portrait photographer Lou Barranti recently suffered the indignity of having some of his photos auctioned off in the Polaroid auction. But that hasn't stopped Lou, who has remained a loyal 55 follower and enthusiast, and continues to build The Downtown Waitress Project, now online and ready to see.

Click on the link, here, to visit.

On Lou's site you can click through very well presented scans of T55 and other 4x5 images, most of waitresses, and some of his daughters, too. These are people we might have seen somewhere, or did we? The person who comes to our table, you go to their workplace, this is their life, or is it - do we know them? Do we notice?


Please do notice, and enjoy Lou's site.

4 comments:

Lou Barranti said...

"…suffered the indignity of having some of his photos auctioned off in the Polaroid auction."

Thanks, Bob, but I'm hardly special in that regard. I think I would reserve use of the words "suffer" and "indignity" for those photographers whose work in the Polaroid Collection was made with any of the one-of-a-kind films -- especially those whose prints were sold at the Sotheby's auction. It's possible that some of them will never see that work again. They (and the photography loving public) really got punked.

I am annoyed, of course, especially by the way the bankruptcy court handled the issue, but at least my photographs in that collection (which are in the much larger group recently purchased by Perle Holdings Inc.) are silver prints from Type 55 negatives.

By the way, I went to the preview of the Sotheby's auction last year. It was impressive, but very strange. Much beautiful work all around me, but it felt like I was visiting the photographs in a refugee or P.O.W. camp.

Well, on to other things today, including experimenting with the Fuji FP-100C negative recovery process you posted here a while ago.

Thanks for the kind words.

Lou

anyone said...

Lou

I am not a big fan of the cliche yet I lapsed on that one. Perhaps a better way to put it could have been composed, but I still cannot come up with it. Your way is more amusing. So, I shall change it here to "annoyed, more than anything, among the many who had works auctioned...".

I was more concerned about labeling you as a "straight" portrait photog, whatever that is. In any case I am laying low while we do our work, much to do, and plenty of cliches to avoid.

Bob Crowley said...

Limited connectivity has rendered me as "anyone".

nahidworld said...

I still cannot come up with it. Your way is more amusing. So, I shall change it here to "annoyed, more than anything.
Waitresses